Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda exclusions

2007-10-05 11:25:43
Subject: Re: Amanda exclusions
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Johan Booysen" <johan AT matrix-data.co DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:27:46 -0500
On 10/5/07, Johan Booysen <johan AT matrix-data.co DOT uk> wrote:
> What confuses me is that it's not really clear to me how amanda appends
> what you want to exclude to disklist entries.
>
> Like, if I have the following disklist entries:
> backupclientname    /usr/local/clients    comp-tar
> backupclientname    /home    comp-tar
> backupclientname    /data    comp-tar
>
> and the exclude file contains:
>
> ./client1/archive
>
> does amanda just simply ignore /home/client1/archive and
> /data/client1/archive (because they don't exist in the first place)?

That's correct.  Usually folks specify an exclude in the disklist,
rather than the dumptype:

backupclientname /usr/local/clients {
  comp-tar
  exclude list "/whatever"
}

FWIW, the confusion is actually from GNU Tar, which uses string
matching against the paths it archives.  Since Amanda cd's to the
directory to be backed up and runs tar with '.', those excluded
strings have to start from the directory as '.', e.g.,
'./client1/archive'.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer