Amanda-Users

Re: RE how to let amanda run multiple backups at the same time?

2007-07-31 03:24:33
Subject: Re: RE how to let amanda run multiple backups at the same time?
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:14:19 +0200
On 2007-07-31 08:18, fedora wrote:

fedora wrote:
At first sight, I would say that Amanda only had the time to estimate the size of 1 of your 3 DLE. A possible solution would be to increase estimate timeout (parameter "etimeout")
I did increased the etimeout. now the etimeout was 3600 (1hr). I started
backup at 1230am and untill now (12pm) the status shows this:
abc.com:/home/small       0    28050k estimate done
abc.com:/home/small2       0   115510k estimate done
abc.com:/home/big                 getting estimate
abc.com:/home/small3                 getting estimate
abc.com:/home/big2                   getting estimate

I think amanda stucked at 3rd line (around 3Gb+), so it wont do for the
rest line below it as well as dump till estimate done. Do i need to split
the /home/big to a small part or add the etimeout more?

Now the latest update for amanda status:
abc.com:/home/big     0     planner: [disk /home/big, all estimate timed
out]
abc.com:/home/small3 0    planner: [disk /home/small3, all estimate timed
out]
abc.com:/home/big2   0   planner: [disk /home/big2, all estimate timed out]

Instead of making a blind guess about the time needed for estimate
take a look in the debug files on that client:
  /tmp/amanda/client/<YourConfig>/sendsize.<DateTime>.debug
and see how long it really takes.  Wait until you see the "finish" line
is present in the file.
If amanda had problems doing the estimate, you will find the warnings
and errors in that file too.

When you believe the estimate is taking too long for some DLE's (e.g.
because the filesystem is one of those bad cases like containing lots
of small files) than think about switching to a faster, but less
accurate, estimate methode, like calcsize (see "man amanda.conf").

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *