Amanda-Users

RE how to let amanda run multiple backups at the same time?

2007-07-30 03:45:07
Subject: RE how to let amanda run multiple backups at the same time?
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:34:13 +0200

Documentation also says that the default spindle value is "-1" so unless you've changed it you already have no spindle restriction.

Also, the error seems to indicate that Amanda didn't even tried to dump these DLE. The error seems to occured during DLE size estimation.

At first sight, I would say that Amanda only had the time to estimate the size of 1 of your 3 DLE.

A possible solution would be to increase estimate timeout (parameter "etimeout")

etimeout int Default: 300 seconds. Amount of time per disk on a given client that the
planner step of amdump will wait to get the dump size estimates. For instance,
with the default of 300 seconds and four disks on client A, planner will wait up to 20
minutes for that machine. A negative value will be interpreted as a total amount of
time to wait per client instead of per disk.

But that might well be something else.

Cyrille

fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
Envoyé par : owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org

30/07/2007 08:56

amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
cc
Objet
how to let amanda run multiple backups at the same time?

Hi guys,

This is error reporting in my email:
abc.com  /usr/local/apache2  lev 0  FAILED [disk /usr/local/apache2, all
estimate timed out]
abc.com  /home               lev 0  FAILED [disk /home, all estimate timed
out]
abc.com    /var/lib/mysql      lev 1  STRANGE

I can't dump for multiple backups at the same time but amcheck can. If I
comment the line for /var/lib/mysql and /home, I can dump the
/usr/local/apache2. If I run three of them, I can't. I found out about
spindle in http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda#DESCRIPTION. It stated
Amanda will not run multiple backups at the same time on the same spindle,
unless the spindle number is -1, which means there is no spindle
restriction. I am not understand about it.

this is my disklist:
abc.com    /var/lib/mysql          hard-disk-tar
abc.com  /usr/local/apache2     hard-disk-tar
abc.com  /home                      hard-disk-tar

How to edit disklist file to make it run multiple backups?