Amanda-Users

Problems after splitting up a DLE

2007-06-27 02:15:23
Subject: Problems after splitting up a DLE
From: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:10:59 +0300
Hello!

My Amanda setup is 2.5.1p2 on a single FreeBSD 6.2 server backing up only itself to vtapes using GNU tar 1.15.1. It has been running well for over 6 months, but then I screwed things up by splitting up a large DLE into two smaller ones.

Initially I had in my disklist:

hostname.com /storage/www       comp-user-tar-big       1       local

Then I modified it like this:

mail.tarkvarastuudio.ee wwwAN /storage/www {
        comp-user-tar-big
        exclude "./[^a-nA-N]*"
        }                                       1       local
mail.tarkvarastuudio.ee wwwOZ /storage/www {
        comp-user-tar-big
        exclude "./[a-nA-N]*"
        }                                       1       local

The "comp-user-tar-big" dumptype is defined like this:

define dumptype comp-user-tar-big {
        comp-user-tar
        maxpromoteday 0
}

Initially, when I created these two new DLEs, I commented out wwwOZ, so as not to overwhelm my vtapes with two new disks requiring full dump on one run.

The first amdump run with new DLE wwwAN ended in amandad dumping core. In amreport output there was this message:

hostname.com wwwAN lev 0 FAILED [err create /var/amanda/BACKUP/index/hostname.com/wwwAN/20070622052001_0.gz.tmp: Operation not permitted]

On the second amdump run, this problem no longer happened. In fact the DLE got dumped successfully and index was also created. However, there was a different error message in amreport:

driver: FATAL infofile update failed (hostname.com,'wwwAN')

'infofile' directive in my amanda.conf points to /var/amanda/BACKUP/curinfo, and Amanda is running as user 'backup'. The permissions on 'curinfo' directory are like this:

#ls -ld /var/amanda/BACKUP/curinfo
drwxr-xr-x  3 backup  wheel  512 Jan  6  2004 /var/amanda/BACKUP/curinfo

In fact, Amanda had even created the subdirectory for wwwAN, but then she decides that she can't create files in it?

#ls -l /var/amanda/BACKUP/curinfo
drwx------  19 backup  wheel  512 Jun 27 06:08 hostname.com

#ls -l /var/amanda/BACKUP/curinfo/hostname.com | grep wwwAN
drwx------  2 backup  wheel  512 Jun 25 09:36 wwwAN

If I su to backup, I can successfully create files manually in /var/amanda/BACKUP/curinfo/hostname.com/wwwAN, so this doesn't seem to be a permissions problem?

Tonight was the third run with this new DLE in my disklist. This time, the amreport message had simply this:

hostname.com  wwwAN     RESULTS MISSING

Another DLE, which has been in my disklist for a long time, also reported RESULTS MISSING.

I looked at amdump.1 and log.<timestamp>.0 files. I can post them, if anyone is interested. But the essence of the matter seems to be that sendsize successfully creates estimates for this DLE, but the actual backup is never done (there is no 'driver' section in amdump.1 logfile regarding this DLE and also there is no sendbackup.debug file corresponding to this DLE in /tmp/amanda). I haven't been able to dig up any particular error messages regarding *why* the backup was not done.

Can anyone provide any recommendations based on this vague description?

--
Toomas Aas

--
... If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL!