Amanda-Users

Re: Restore from multiple configs

2007-06-26 15:24:26
Subject: Re: Restore from multiple configs
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: "amanda-users AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:04:53 -0400
On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:29:45AM -0700, Don Murray wrote:

Just a couple of minor things, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

> I'm going to ignore your details and key on the concept : you want to
> have a weekly and a daily back up.
>
> I wanted to do this too and went down the path of investigating multiple
> configurations like you are doing.  But it really bugged me that I have
> to basically do 2 level-0 backups a week, one for the weekly and one for
> the daily (since the daily backup configuration isn't aware of the
> weekly).  My reason for having a weekly backup is because I want to be
> able to archive the tapes periodically, but I don't need to have the 2
> configurations fully separate.
>
> After messing around, I finally figured out that what I wanted was a
> single configuration with a forced level 0 on saturday night.
>
> So, I set up a single "daily" configuration.  Inside /etc/amanda/daily I
> added a scripts called "forceall" that looks like this:
>
> -bash-3.00$ cat forceall
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /usr/sbin/amadmin daily force \
>        windsor  / \
>        gilmore  / \
>        gilmore  /backedup/project \
>        gilmore  /backedup/home \
>        gateway2 / \
>        imap     / \
>        asterisk /
>
> - so yes, I have to specify all my disk entries in this file, which is a
> pain and a possible issue when you change the entries - but my disk
> configuration is pretty stable.

The amadmin command documents the force command as:

        force [ hostname [ disks ]* ]+

I.e. the disk names, and even the host names are optional.  If you are
forcing every DLE to a level 0 this suggests you could simplify
your script to just listing hostnames, and even omitting them.

> My crontab looks like:
>
> #
> # ---------------- minute (0-59)
> # |  ------------- hour (0-23)
> # |  |  ---------- day of month (1-31)
> # |  |  |  ------- month (1-12)
> # |  |  |  |  ---- day of the week (0-7 sunday = 0 or 7)
> # |  |  |  |  |
> # *  *  *  *  *
> # check the configuration each evening
> 00 20  *  *  0-5 /usr/sbin/amcheck -m daily
> # run pgrdaily every weekday and Saturday morning
> 05 03  *  *  1-6 /usr/sbin/amdump daily
> # on Saturday morning, make sure its a level 0
> 00 03  *  *    6  /etc/amanda/daily/forceall
>
> amdump doesn't run on Sunday, giving the Saturday job enough chance to
> dump everything as it can take more than 24 hours for a full level 0.
> But each Saturday before the dump, I run the forceall script that tells
> amanda to make the next run a level 0.

I'd be concerned that the forceall was missed.  Yeah 5 minute difference
is not much.  But another way you could set up your crontab is to do
the "amdump daily" only 5 times a week and on Saturday do a combination
of  "forceall && amdump daily".

Do you set up your dumptype to do incronly so it will never do a level 0
on its own?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)