Amanda-Users

Re: Virtual tape to Real tape cycles

2007-06-15 14:20:37
Subject: Re: Virtual tape to Real tape cycles
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:14:43 -0400
On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 04:27:32PM -0400, Charlie Reitsma wrote:
> Has there been any work on amanda being aware of backups going to
> virtual tape and then the virtual tape being archived to real tape?
> I'd love to be able to keep as much as possible on virtual tape but at
> some point I need to archive the data to an offsite location. But in
> order to do a restore I would need the index of the virtual tape
> associated with the real tape. Very likely, multiple real tapes would
> be required to hold a single virtual tape so the index might need to
> be rewritten to reflect the media change. I see the move from virtual
> tape to real tape more of a tape duplication  - almost as if the
> virtual disk were looked at as the holding disk being flushed to tape.

Related to potential projects such as Charlie suggests:

Does an documentation exist that might be called "Amanda Internals"?
Things that describe the backup process, authentication procedures,
network communications and particularly for this project, amanda
data location, layout, and parsing info?

Obviously several amanda utilities can access these data.  For example,
amoverview can lookup the dates and levels for each active DLE backup
and amrecover can determine on which tapes they are located.  But
aside from reading the sources for these utilities is the location
and procedure for accessing these data documented somewhere?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)