Amanda-Users

Virtual tape to Real tape cycles

2007-06-12 16:59:33
Subject: Virtual tape to Real tape cycles
From: Charlie Reitsma <reitsma AT denison DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:27:32 -0400
Has there been any work on amanda being aware of backups going to virtual tape and then the virtual tape being archived to real tape? I'd love to be able to keep as much as possible on virtual tape but at some point I need to archive the data to an offsite location. But in order to do a restore I would need the index of the virtual tape associated with the real tape. Very likely, multiple real tapes would be required to hold a single virtual tape so the index might need to be rewritten to reflect the media change. I see the move from virtual tape to real tape more of a tape duplication - almost as if the virtual disk were looked at as the holding disk being flushed to tape.

Charlie Reitsma