Amanda-Users

Re: Tapes not reusing

2007-05-26 00:38:42
Subject: Re: Tapes not reusing
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 22:08:50 -0400
On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 05:23:22PM -0500, James Wilson wrote:
> Sorry, I will post my configs this time. I have them split up into 2
> separate backups. DailyTapes run from Monday-Saturday and WeeklyTapes
> run on Sunday which are always full backups. I meant the conf files by
> "Them".
>
> Here is my amanda.conf from DailyTape only.
>
> dumpcycle 7     # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
> runspercycle 7          # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
>                        # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week -- just

There are only 5 weekdays, so only 5 runs/dumpcycle, not 7.

> weekdays)
> tapecycle 15 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation
>                        # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week (just
>                        # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors that
>                        # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the full
>                        # backups performed at the beginning of the previous
>                        # cycle
> runtapes 3              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of
> amdump

4 dumpcycle * 5 run/dumpcycle * 3 tapes/run  is 60 tapes, not 15.

Plus a few extra?

> tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"  # the tape-changer glue script
> tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used
>
> changerfile "/etc/amanda/tape/changer"
> changerdev "/dev/sg0"
> tapetype IBM-LTO2                    # what kind of tape it is (see
> tapetypes below)
>
> holdingdisk hd2 {
>    directory "/home/amandahold"
>    use 50000Mb
>    }
>
> labelstr "^DailyTape-[0-9][0-9]*$"     # label constraint regex: all
> tapes must match

> >>The next 3 tapes Amanda expects to use are: a new tape, a new tape,
> >>DailyTape-21.
> >>The next new tape already labelled is: WeeklyTape-14.

Somehow your tapelist shows an unused tape from the Weekly config
because amanda thought that was the "next labeled unused tape".

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)