Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Client

2007-04-24 09:56:56
Subject: Re: Amanda Client
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: jwilson AT transolutions DOT net
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:52:24 -0400
On Tuesday 24 April 2007, James Wilson wrote:
>The reason I use amandabackup is because that is the user I created on
>the server with the rpm packages. I have changed all the permissions on
>the files to read amandabackup disk. I also copied what you posted below
>and changed the host to amandabackup. From what you posted below the
>only_from field should that be the client name or the amanda server
>name? I can't test right because amanda is doing a backup but I will
>test as soon as the backups are done.

That's essentially correct I believe, but check the docs.

I think it is the expected client name, which is in this case also the server
as I've not gotten around to setting up my kubuntu box out in the shop as
another client, which in retrospect I should have.  I have to reinstall that
box (it runs my milling machine via emc2) at some point as I managed to mess
up the root account on it, and when I do get it reinstalled, I will set that
box up as a second client, at which point (check the docs, Gene) I think I'll
have to make that a comma separated list of FQDN's.

As for the backup user, amanda seemed like a good name for it at the time. :)
More below.

>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 23 April 2007, James Wilson wrote:
>>> Are you talking about the /etc/xinetd.d/amanda file? in my case it is
>>> amandabackup.
>>
>> That is not the usual name for that file.  What distro are you running?
>>
>> OTOH, the actual name of that file isn't terribly important, but the
>> contents are, and should generally resemble this, although the server
>> locations could change depending on your packaging system, and of course
>> the FQDN too:
>> ====================
>> # default = off
>> #
>> # This is the list of daemons & such it needs
>> service amanda
>> {
>>      only_from       = coyote.coyote.den
>>      disable         = no
>>      socket_type     = dgram
>>      protocol        = udp
>>      wait            = yes
>>      user            = amanda
>>      group           = disk
>>      groups          = yes
>>      server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
>>      server_args     = -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped
>> }
>> service amandaidx
>> {
>>      disable = no
>>         socket_type     = stream
>>         protocol        = tcp
>>         wait            = no
>>         user            = amanda
>>         group           = disk
>>         groups          = yes
>>         server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
>> }
>> service amidxtape
>> {
>>      disable = no
>>         socket_type     = stream
>>         protocol        = tcp
>>         wait            = no
>>         user            = amanda
>>         group           = disk
>>         groups          = yes
>>         server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
>> }
>> ===================
>> which will result in those 3 'service's being registered with xinetd for
>> ready availability in the event they are called upon.  As far as xinetd is
>> concerned there is zero difference in how it works if the file was broken
>> up into 3 pieces at the service keyword, and named jimbo, bubba and
>> teri-sue, or this all in one file was named after a BC comic strip
>> character.  Its what is in the file(s) that that count. :-)

I would add that the 'server' lines in each of the 3 sections above could be
different, mine is a local install as I'm nearly always running the newest
snapshot, in this case 2.5.1p3-20070420.  Make sure they are the actual path
to those executeables _on your system_.  This is part of amanda's security
model.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be
unhappy.
                -- Groucho Marx