Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Client

2007-04-23 21:09:34
Subject: Re: Amanda Client
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: jwilson AT transolutions DOT net
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:02:59 -0400
On Monday 23 April 2007, James Wilson wrote:
>Are you talking about the /etc/xinetd.d/amanda file? in my case it is
>amandabackup.

That is not the usual name for that file.  What distro are you running?

OTOH, the actual name of that file isn't terribly important, but the contents
are, and should generally resemble this, although the server locations could
change depending on your packaging system, and of course the FQDN too:
====================
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
        only_from       = coyote.coyote.den
        disable         = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
        server_args     = -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped
}
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}
===================
which will result in those 3 'service's being registered with xinetd for ready
availability in the event they are called upon.  As far as xinetd is
concerned there is zero difference in how it works if the file was broken up
into 3 pieces at the service keyword, and named jimbo, bubba and teri-sue, or
this all in one file was named after a BC comic strip character.  Its what is
in the file(s) that that count. :-)

>Pavel Pragin wrote:
>> James Wilson wrote:
>>> Hey All,
>>>
>>>    I have amanda version 2.5.0p2 I have installed version 2.5.0p2-4
>>> for the amanda client. I have added the amanda server and the amanda
>>> user in the .amandahost file on the client I checked the
>>> /etc/services and all the amanda ports are there. But when I try to
>>> do an amcheck tape this is what I get. It's been awhile since I have
>>> added a client, am I missing something?
>>>
>>> WARNING: ifx-se-02.transolutions.net: selfcheck request failed:
>>> timeout waiting for ACK
>>> Client check: 1 host checked in 30.036 seconds, 1 problem found
>>
>> Hello,
>> It sound like you are trying to use "bsd" authentication to connect to
>> a client that is using "bsdtcp". You either need to upgrade to the
>> 2.5.1 server or change the client to run "bsd". These changes need to
>> be made in the xientd service for amanda.
>> Thank You

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Dirksen's Three Laws of Politics:
        (1) Get elected.