Amanda-Users

taperwait/taperstart/taperflush [was Re: HELP ! Setting up ...]

2007-04-13 22:09:09
Subject: taperwait/taperstart/taperflush [was Re: HELP ! Setting up ...]
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:40:26 -0400
On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 03:23:12PM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:

> I really wish there was an easy way to instruct amanda to wait for all the
> client files,  before starting dumping the holding disk to tape, but there
> isn't.
>
> New feature ?

Several possibilites were suggested, none added to the core version of amanda.

In September 2005 Orion Poplawski submitted patches for version 2.4.5b for
an option he implemented called taperwait.

Jean-Louis suggested that Orion's patch did not solve some of the taper
scheduling problems and suggested a alternate model of two new options
called taperflush and taperstart.  JLM said he would undertake implementing
his idea when he got the time.

Orion reawakened the issue in August 2006 after the release of the 2.5 version.
He was not too keen on trying to port his 2.4.5 version of taperwait to 2.5
and was hoping JLM's suggestion was being implemented.

In that same discussion Paddy Sreenivasan suggested it be added to the list
of requested new features.

Add your desire for such a feature.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)