Amanda-Users

Re: HELP ! Setting up a RAID-0 holding disk on centos 4.4

2007-04-13 15:30:36
Subject: Re: HELP ! Setting up a RAID-0 holding disk on centos 4.4
From: "Guy Dallaire" <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
To: "amanda users list" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:23:12 -0400

2007/4/5, Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>:
Hello.

Due to performance problem on my holding disk, it was suggested by this great group of people to create a striped raid for my holding disk. I have acquired 2 new sata drives and I'm in the process of finding the documentation abour how to create a RAID device....

All the software raid how-to I find are for kernel 2.4.

Centos 4.4 is kernel 2.6

Also, they talk about the mkraid command, but this command is nowhere to be found on centos.

Does anyone has a good and EASY source of focumentation about how to create a RAID-0, create a file system and mount it on CENTOS 4 (Or RHEL4) AFTER installation ?

There are many contraditing sources of info, I'm in a bit of a hurry, and I must admit that I am more familiar with solaris software raid than linux.

Thanks a LOT !

I finally found the right FM in order to RTFM and proceeded to create the RAID-0 holding disk with 2 250Gb SATA drives in order to try to fix the trhroughput problem with the tape drive. The raidtools have been replaced by the mdadm command.

I'm back to square one. Even if I use a RAID-0 stripped (64k stripes) array, I still can't feed the tape drive adequately when amanda is writing to the holding disk while it's being dumped to tape.

I benchmarked a 'dd' command of a 10gb file to tape (read only, nopt writing to the array at the same time) and with various block sizes, and the performance impact is minimal.  So it's of no use to recompile amanda.

I really wish there was an easy way to instruct amanda to wait for all the client files,  before starting dumping the holding disk to tape, but there isn't.

New feature ?

Thanks anyway