Amanda-Users

Re: missing result

2007-03-23 17:32:00
Subject: Re: missing result
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:22:01 -0400
On Friday 23 March 2007, Joe Konecny wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
><snip>
>
>> Yes, start with howto-auth.txt in the tarballs doc directory to do it
>> how I am, which probably isn't the ultimate model, but it works for
>> me.
>
>This looks like it was because the file /etc/amandates was missing.
> Apparently the install does not create it.  I found an error in the
> auth.log...
>
>Mar 22 00:00:01 r4p17 sendsize[90503]: error [opening /etc/amandates: No
> such file or directory]
>
>I don't know what /etc/amandates is for but my backups seem much happier
> with it.
>
>Thanks for your help!

I believe, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but ISTR that file needs
to be touched by root, 'chown'ed to 'amanda:disk' or whatever your amanda
user is named: and a member of that :group, then chmod'ed to 0600, so
that 'amanda' is the only normal user with rights to that file.  I use
amanda:disk here cause then I don't have to remember who the operator for
amanda is.

It will then be maintained in an uptodate status from then on by the
amdump supervisory utils.  Its general format will resemble this:
===================================
/GenesAmandaHelper-0.6 0 1174288560
/GenesAmandaHelper-0.6 1 1174453248
/GenesAmandaHelper-0.6 2 1174541095
/GenesAmandaHelper-0.6 3 1174625228
[snip another 100k of different pathlistings]
The number after the path is the level, and I'm not sure what the last
number is, possibly a timestamp, but I've NDI what notation format that
represents.  Swahili to this old fart.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding
bureaucracy.