Amanda-Users

Re: problem with client on 64bit machine

2007-03-14 12:09:07
Subject: Re: problem with client on 64bit machine
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:58:40 -0400
On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 10:29:49AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Kenneth Kalan <kgk AT northwestern DOT edu> writes:
>
> > I've poke around the list and didn't find this problem there.  I have
> > a RHEL 4 box with two dual core Xeon's and 16 Gig's of ram.  Naturally
> > it's running x86_64 of Red Hat.  It has the stock RH version of
> > amanda, amanda-2.4.4p3-1 and amanda-client-2.4.4p3-1.  This is a
> > client box.
> >
> > The server is a 32bit box running the same versions (along with
> > amanda-server-2.4.4p3-1).
> >
> > I cannot get the 64 bit box to backup.  When I run amcheck it' replies
> > with selfcheck request time out.  Tried turning off the firewall, but
> > no help. I install my boxes the same way, a script puts the server
> > info into /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts as well as putting the amanda
> > file into xinetd.d.  This works fine on all the 32 bit boxes, even
> > ones configured after the 64 bit box.
>
> My experience is with NetBSD rather than RH, but I've used 64-bit
> machines with no problems.  One setup has a i386 server with multiple
> clients, including sparc64 and works with krb4 auth.  Another has a
> sparc64 server and i386 and sparc clients.  So it's pretty unlikely
> there are serious 64-bit bugs in the code.  Of course you could be
> having lib/lib64 confusion.
>
> I'd run ldd on the amandad binary and see if it links ok.

Agreed.
Does RH supply a real 64 bit compiled version.  If not, i.e. it is
a 32 bit version, it could be you have all the correct libaries in
of the 64 bit variety but need to add some of the 32 bit ones.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)