Amanda-Users

Re: problem with client on 64bit machine

2007-03-14 10:38:49
Subject: Re: problem with client on 64bit machine
From: Greg Troxel <gdt AT ir.bbn DOT com>
To: Kenneth Kalan <kgk AT northwestern DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:29:49 -0400
Kenneth Kalan <kgk AT northwestern DOT edu> writes:

> I've poke around the list and didn't find this problem there.  I have
> a RHEL 4 box with two dual core Xeon's and 16 Gig's of ram.  Naturally
> it's running x86_64 of Red Hat.  It has the stock RH version of
> amanda, amanda-2.4.4p3-1 and amanda-client-2.4.4p3-1.  This is a
> client box.
>
> The server is a 32bit box running the same versions (along with
> amanda-server-2.4.4p3-1).
>
> I cannot get the 64 bit box to backup.  When I run amcheck it' replies
> with selfcheck request time out.  Tried turning off the firewall, but
> no help. I install my boxes the same way, a script puts the server
> info into /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts as well as putting the amanda
> file into xinetd.d.  This works fine on all the 32 bit boxes, even
> ones configured after the 64 bit box.

My experience is with NetBSD rather than RH, but I've used 64-bit
machines with no problems.  One setup has a i386 server with multiple
clients, including sparc64 and works with krb4 auth.  Another has a
sparc64 server and i386 and sparc clients.  So it's pretty unlikely
there are serious 64-bit bugs in the code.  Of course you could be
having lib/lib64 confusion.

I'd run ldd on the amandad binary and see if it links ok.