Amanda-Users

Re: "estimate failed" question

2006-10-23 11:53:26
Subject: Re: "estimate failed" question
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "McGraw, Robert P." <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:44:15 +0200
On 2006-10-23 17:08, McGraw, Robert P. wrote:
> I am getting the following messages.
>
>   planner: disk coriolis:/local, estimate of level 1 failed.
[...]
> My report shows:
>
>   coriolis   /local      0     0     0    --   0:01  11.0   0:04   16.7
[...]
> My question; since the estimate failed for level 1, my report show that it
> did a level 0. Is this in fact what happened. Since it could not do a level
> 1 it just went ahead and did a level 0? Just want to be sure I am reading
> the report correctly.

The planner of Amanda will always estimate the size of level 0,
level N (the last level) and level N+1 (if "bumpdays" permits).

Using all those numbers, the planner creates a plan for the backup.
Planner starts with all the level 0's that are due, and the level N
of all the rest (or N+1 if the "bump.*" parameters got triggered for
this DLE).
If the resulting total amount is too large for the output media,
then Amanda will postpone some full dumps, and schedule a level N
instead for some of those.
Aparently Amanda did not feel the need for such a reordering.
So the missing estimates for level 1 did not interfere with the
planner algorithm.

To be complete, when there is enough space, and the total amount
of level 0 dumps is less than "balanced" (= total amount of level 0
divided by runspercycle), then Amanda will schedule some full dumps
in advance to the due date.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *