Amanda-Users

Re: "estimate failed" question

2006-10-23 11:35:55
Subject: Re: "estimate failed" question
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:28:42 -0400
On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 11:08:16AM -0400, McGraw, Robert P. wrote:

> I am getting the following messages.
>
>       planner: disk coriolis:/local, estimate of level 1 failed.
>       planner: disk mailrelay:/local, estimate of level 1 failed.
>       planner: disk mailrelay:/cygdrive/c/Alligate/agbackupfiles, estimate
> of    level 1 failed.
>
> My report shows:
>
>       coriolis     /local             0        0        0    --      0:01
> 11.0     0:04     16.7
>
>       mailrelay    -ate/agbackupfiles 0        1        1    --      0:02
> 851.6     0:02    617.0
>
>       mailrelay    /local             0        0        0    --      0:01
> 12.4     0:03     20.9
>
> My question; since the estimate failed for level 1, my report show that it
> did a level 0. Is this in fact what happened. Since it could not do a level
> 1 it just went ahead and did a level 0? Just want to be sure I am reading
> the report correctly.

Are you attempting to use dump as your backup program
(as opposed to tar) and happen to be backing up specific
directories rather than complete file systems?  If so,
dump can only do level 0 on directories, no incrementals.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)