Amanda-Users

General backup advice help?

2006-10-20 19:00:48
Subject: General backup advice help?
From: Don Murray <samba AT geeksrus DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:50:25 -0700

Hello list,

I've been lurking on the list a few days (not really long enough to be opening my mouth, but here it goes).

I am a relatively novice sysadmin looking for a better backup setup than our handcrafted scripts. Amanda looks interesting but I am worried that it will not necessarily solve my problem. So I was hoping to beg your indulgence for a moment and see if anyone has any advice for me.

My main concern is that we have to be "up" round the clock these days as we have people connecting during their work day, 9 hours different from ours. So having major services disrupted in the middle of the night for backups doesn't seem a viable solution anymore, as it hits the other people in the middle of the day.

We are a small business. We have 2 main linux servers each with about 200G to back up. Backing up a full 200G volume across the network takes about 7 hours currently.

I understand from the documentation that Amanda will attempt to balance the time taken for backups through its scheduling process. However, it seems to me that when you have to do a level 0 of size X, you have to do it, and so you will take the full 7 hours.

The bad news is that currently these systems are set up with the full 200G on single partitions.

Does anyone have any advice for these problems?

1) reducing the time for large volume network backups - is it possible to do less than a full partition? 2) reducing the system resources on systems backing up (i.e. can the amanda-client be run with a low priority)? 3) can you tell that we're "just screwed" and need to seriously rethink how we do this? If so, got any ideas? :)

Again, sorry for the generic, non-Amanda-specific questions. If anyone has suggestions for the right forum to ask these questions on, I would love to hear from them.

Thanks,
Don