Amanda-Users

Re: error

2006-09-25 13:46:16
Subject: Re: error
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Reinhart Viane <rv AT domos DOT be>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:40:11 +0200
Reinhart Viane wrote:
I have done a shutdown -r now Friday.
It does not seem to resolve the issue. Could this mean the tape drive is
broke?

If you have cleaned the drive and you still get the same error, that might indeed mean that your drive is broken. But I recommended that you power-cycle the drive in order to reset it.

Also, please do check the drive using tar and dd, by writing to a scratch tape. Just tar up a large directory directly to the tape drive, as in
        tar cvf /dev/nst0 my/large/directory
Do you get an error after a few hundreds of MB just like amanda reports? In that case the error is definitely not with amanda but with your drive somewhere. From your syslog I gather that you are using ide-tape, which I don't know at all. You might want to redirect your problems to a more relevant list for that specific drive unless someone else chimes in.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29