Amanda-Users

Re: Running out of tape when half full???

2006-09-22 07:19:20
Subject: Re: Running out of tape when half full???
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Matthew Claridge <mclaridge AT rwa-net.co DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 07:02:38 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 at 9:03am, Matthew Claridge wrote

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Suddenly my backups have started failing due to the tape running out of space:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: No space left on device]].
FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
server1.rwa /var lev 0 STRANGE
server1.rwa /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
server1.rwa /usr/local lev 0 FAILED ["data write: Connection reset by peer"]
server1.rwa /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

NOTES:
taper: tape DailySet202 kb 34175264 fm 16 writing file: No space left on device

However, I'm using an 80GB (uncompressed) VXA tape:

tapetype VXA2-V23       # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)

define tapetype VXA2-V23 {
  comment "Exabyte VXA2 tape drive and V23 tapes"
  length 76209 mbytes
  filemark 3908 kbytes
  speed 3956 kps
}

A few options:

1) The drive is dirty and needs to be cleaned.

2) The drive somehow got put into hardware compression mode, and you're
   using software compression.

3) You're dumping over the network (no holding disk), the network
   connection is too slow, and thus the tape is shoeshining (which
   severely reduces its capacity).

4) Something else I'm not thinking of b/c I ain't had my coffee yet.

Look in the system log (/var/log/messages on Linux, e.g.) and you should see some messages from the tape driver with more info on the tape error.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering