Amanda-Users

Re: Running out of tape when half full???

2006-09-22 08:35:39
Subject: Re: Running out of tape when half full???
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 07:00:57 -0400
On Friday 22 September 2006 04:03, Matthew Claridge wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Hope someone can shed some light on this. Suddenly my backups have
>started failing due to the tape running out of space:
>
>*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: No space left on device]].
>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  server1.rwa /var lev 0 STRANGE
>  server1.rwa /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
>  server1.rwa /usr/local lev 0 FAILED ["data write: Connection reset by
> peer"] server1.rwa /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
>
>NOTES:
>  taper: tape DailySet202 kb 34175264 fm 16 writing file: No space left
> on device
>

>However, I'm using an 80GB (uncompressed) VXA tape:
>
>tapetype VXA2-V23       # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
>
>define tapetype VXA2-V23 {
>    comment "Exabyte VXA2 tape drive and V23 tapes"
>    length 76209 mbytes
>    filemark 3908 kbytes
>    speed 3956 kps
>}
>
>Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Matt

Are you using an adequately sized holding disk?  Without that, the data
rate to the tape might be slow enough that the drive is doing a lot of
shoe-shining, which wastes space.  How big is it, and whats the setting
for 'reserved' in your amanda.conf?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: