Amanda-Users

Re: Running out of tape when half full???

2006-09-22 12:34:57
Subject: Re: Running out of tape when half full???
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:10:31 -0400
On Friday 22 September 2006 08:42, Matthew Claridge wrote:
>on 22/09/2006 12:00 Gene Heskett said the following:
>>On Friday 22 September 2006 04:03, Matthew Claridge wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Hope someone can shed some light on this. Suddenly my backups have
>>>started failing due to the tape running out of space:
>>>
>>>*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: No space left on device]].
>>>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>>> server1.rwa /var lev 0 STRANGE
>>> server1.rwa /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
>>> server1.rwa /usr/local lev 0 FAILED ["data write: Connection reset by
>>>peer"] server1.rwa /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
>>>
>>>NOTES:
>>> taper: tape DailySet202 kb 34175264 fm 16 writing file: No space left
>>>on device
>>>

>>>However, I'm using an 80GB (uncompressed) VXA tape:
>>>
>>>tapetype VXA2-V23       # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
>>>
>>>define tapetype VXA2-V23 {
>>>   comment "Exabyte VXA2 tape drive and V23 tapes"
>>>   length 76209 mbytes
>>>   filemark 3908 kbytes
>>>   speed 3956 kps
>>>}
>>>
>>>Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>Matt
>>
>>Are you using an adequately sized holding disk?  Without that, the data
>>rate to the tape might be slow enough that the drive is doing a lot of
>>shoe-shining, which wastes space.  How big is it, and whats the setting
>>for 'reserved' in your amanda.conf?
>
>The holding disk has 3.5GB available. Reserve is left at its default.

And how big is the dle that fails?  Bear in mind the reserve is 100% at
default.  Meaning its all reserved for use if the tapeing fails, and will
not be used for temporary holding.  You need, for that big a tape, a
holding disk that exceeds the tapes size, and a reserve setting of perhaps
-500megabytes.

For a system like yours, with an 80GB tape, I'd pickup & install a 100GB
hard drive and use that for a holding disk.  They're comparable to the
cost of a couple of those tapes I'd guess, certainly less than a $100 bill
at Circuit City these days.  Even the slower ones should be able to supply
the tape drive in continuous streaming mode once the write starts.  I
don't know the exact exchange rate, but I'd assume thats less than 40
pounds sterling on your side of the pond.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: