Amanda-Users

Re: turn off --one-file-system when using tar

2006-09-14 10:20:16
Subject: Re: turn off --one-file-system when using tar
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:10:51 -0400
On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:58:28AM +0200, Dennis Ortsen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running amanda 2.4.5. on a number of FC4 servers.
>
> I'm using gnutar (1.15)
>
> Is there an option available to turn the --one-file-system option off
> in a dumptype config? By default this command line option is parsed to
> gnutar when running a backup. Is there an easy way to turn this option
> off in a config file?

None that I know of.

It sometimes help to know what you are trying to accomplish.
That might allow us to suggest alternatives to the single
approach you are asking about.  But I'm going to guess anyway.

My guess is you want one DLE to backup multiple file systems.

Two other approaches:

A gnutar wrapper that checks which DLE is passing through
and turns off the option for those you want it off.

A single DLE with include statements for the two starting
directories.  The "one-file-system" option in my testing
(the manpage is deficient here) suggests it does not cross
a mount point.  But it can be told to start in multiple
places, each a different file system.  Within each it
will not cross, but one archive can contain multiple FS.

I've tried successfully something like this for a single
DLE backing up /opt and /var, each a distinct FS:

   host MISC / {                # / is above both FS
        root-comp-tar           # choose your dumptype
        include file "./opt"
        include file append "./var"
   }

My spool directory for mail, print jobs, ... is /var/spool.
It is a separate file system so the above would skip over
the spool file system just as if I had backed up /var by
itself.  If I wanted a single DLE to handle /var/spool
and its parent /var I might try this (untested)

   host VAR /var {              # Or simply "host /var {"
        root-comp-tar
        include file "."
        include file append "./spool"
   }

HTH
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)