Amanda-Users

Re: turn off --one-file-system when using tar

2006-09-14 10:27:16
Subject: Re: turn off --one-file-system when using tar
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:20:22 -0400
On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 03:56:55PM +0200, Dennis Ortsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 14:58 +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> > On 2006-09-14 10:58, Dennis Ortsen wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Is there an option available to turn the --one-file-system option off
> > > in a dumptype config? By default this command line option is parsed to
> > > gnutar when running a backup. Is there an easy way to turn this option
> > > off in a config file?
> >
> > Curiousity... why would you like/need to do that???
> >

> to prevent myself from forgetting to add another DLE for a lower mounted
> filesystem.
>
> for instance:
>
> I've got a DLE -> jupiter.domain.org  /var/www        tar-med
>
> in /var/www I have several directories, one of them has another
> filesystem mounted underneath (logical volume management), for
> instance /var/www/rpm
>
> As it is now I have to remember to add a new DLE, but whouldn't this
> imply that instead of having /var/www as a DLE, I need to
> add /var/www/rpm and all the other directories that are on the same
> level as /var/www/rpm?
> Like /var/www/insite, /var/www/wiki, /var/www/othersite?

Sounds like my guess was pretty close.

If all the extra mounted file systems are like rpm, mounted just
under /var/www, then you might consider a DLE using wildcards
like this (again, untested)

   jupiter.domain.org /var/www {
        tar-med
        include file "./*"      # may include several mount points
   }

I'd suggest a comment because someone looking at that a year from
now might think "why add the include line, it is redundant".

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)