Amanda-Users

RE: Why didn't my backup work (the way I thought it should)?

2006-09-13 14:54:07
Subject: RE: Why didn't my backup work (the way I thought it should)?
From: "Zembower, Kevin" <kzembowe AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:47:26 -0400
Frank and Alex, thanks for replying. Alex, you're right, I believe,
GNUtar behaves differently than tar with respect to symbolic links, and
I'm using GNUtar:
amanda@cn2:/var/lib$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.14

Frank, all my entries look like this one for sda2 (root):
amanda@cn2:/var/lib$ amadmin DBackup disklist centernet
line 48:
    host centernet:
        interface default
    disk sda2:
        program "GNUTAR"
        priority 1
        dumpcycle 28
        maxdumps 1
        maxpromoteday 10000
        strategy STANDARD
        compress CLIENT FAST
        comprate 0.50 0.50
        auth BSD
        kencrypt NO
        holdingdisk YES
        record YES
        index YES
        skip-incr NO
        skip-full NO

>From this, it seems there's no exclude lists in the disklist. It also
seems that there isn't one on the host, which is both client and server
(tapehost, amandahost):
amanda@cn2:/var/lib$ locate exclude
/home/kevinz/perl-5.8.6/perl-5.8.6/plan9/exclude
amanda@cn2:/var/lib$

None were NSF filesystems or links to other filesystems.

Your suggestion that the last tapes might be corrupt is an excellent
one, and one that I'll begin exploring immediately. Your suggestion to
check the restore procedures more than once every six years is also
good, and one that I'll also put into practice just as soon as this fire
is out.

You also caused me to question if I performed the restore correctly. I
manually went through the first record on each tape file and copied the
filesystem and level. It's possible that I omitted a level 0 and only
restored a level 1. Just about all the files missing are very static
ones that change infrequently. I'll have to check into this, too.

Thanks, again.

-Kevin