Amanda-Users

Re: Release of amanda-2.5.1

2006-09-20 10:47:22
Subject: Re: Release of amanda-2.5.1
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:33:15 -0400
On Wednesday 20 September 2006 05:56, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> >
>> > Can someone please explain what this exactly means?
>>
>> The format to store information about the incrementals was changed.
>> Since Amanda made some assumptions about this format (while she
>> shouldn't have cared, and just considered it as opaque files), this
>> broke Amanda.
>> After the fix, Amanda just treats the files as opaque files.
>>
>> But be careful, at least the tar 1.15.91-2 from Debian is broken: it
>> ignores the --one-file-system option when doing incrementals, causing
>> exorbitant backup sizes for any level > 0. I don't know about the
>> upstream version, but since this bug has been reported almost 2 months
>> ago, I'm afraid that one is broken, too.
>
>Apparently the problem is more subtle. Thanks to the Debian bug tracking
>system, I noticed this:
>
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=384508
>tar: -l option changed meaning, without any warning!
>
>Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
>      Geert

Good Grief Charley Brown!

Tar is supposed to be a stable, mature utility is it not?  I mean its what,
30 years old, existing in the various *nix's long before gnu took over?
Whyinhell can't the folks over at gnu.org find something else to screw
with besides tar?  It doesn't _need_ to be on their WPA or CCC lists as a
makework project when there's nothing else to do around the office.

According to
<http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/Option-Summary.html>
the --one-file-system option still exists, but must be spelled out as shown
here.  The -l option now checks hard links.

So amanda CAN be fixed, but is tars option buffer big enough to do the job
when we have to spell every option out in order to protect us from such
future actions?

I feel rather strongly about this, so gnu AT gnu DOT org has been added to the
Cc:
list.  They need to know how the users feel about such shennanigans.

I wasn't able to find the docs for 1.15-1 on their site, so I have no idea
if this might explain the rash of small estimates I'm getting that
occasionally overrun my nominally 8GB vtape size by as much as 1.5GB!

Question for the gnu folks: can you please tell us when this "-l" option
was actually changed to be the hardlink checking function from the
formerly used shorthand for the --one-file-system option?

I'm tempted to recompile my amanda to use the 1.13-25 version that also
exists on my system and see if this small estimate problem goes away.  I'd
do that right now, except it seems I must have finally, after a year of
running 1.15-1, deleted the older version.  Searching local repos..  Ok,
this version of 1.13-25 is now installed and will be used by amanda
tonight:

tar-1.13.25-14.1.legacy.i386.rpm

I have a suspicion this MAY be the broken 1.14, with RH fixes since fedora
doesn't ever advance to the next major version of anything...  Spoils the
image of wanting everyone to do a fresh install to get the latest.  We're
the guinea pigs and test monkeys of the development lab you know. Grrr.

Stay tuned for any noticeable diffs in the next few runs, which I'll
report.  If it fubars, then I have an rpm of the real 1.13-25 here too...

>--
>Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 --
> geert AT linux-m68k DOT org
>
>In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker.
> But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something
> like that. -- Linus Torvalds

Thanks for the heads-up Geert.  Unforch, its seems gnu.org had hidden all
previous versions of tar on a hard to find subpage, but versions back to
1.14 can yet be had there.  And we ALL know about that one.  What we do
know isn't printable for mixed company though. :(

Thanks.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: