Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck failure "did not resolve"

2006-08-29 05:00:30
Subject: Re: amcheck failure "did not resolve"
From: Chris Dennis <chris.dennis AT ndirect.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:49:24 +0100
Chris Dennis wrote:
Frank Smith wrote:
Chris Dennis wrote:
Hello Amanda People

I can't find any reference on the web to this error message which
started occurring a couple of days ago:

   WARNING: cherry2000: selfcheck request failed:
cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk: did not resolve to cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk

Running 'host cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk' gives the expected result:

   cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk has address 192.168.1.2
but does 192.168.1.2 come back as cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk ?

No!

and I haven't (knowingly) changed anything related to domain names.

Since I started getting that message, all backups have been failing with messages such as

   cherry2000  /            RESULTS MISSING

I'm running Amanda version 2.5.0p2 on Debian with a 2.6.17 kernel.

Any suggestions as to where to start looking?
I would start with checking forward/reverse name resolution on the
client.  Adding it to the hosts file might be sufficient if your
nsswitch.conf file has files before dns for hosts.

It's in /etc/hosts, and I've got 'files' before 'dns', but something is
going wrong.
Thank you -- now I know what it is I have to fix.

Frank

cheers

Chris

I've changed my local DNS server so that 192.168.1.2 now resolves correctly to cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk, but amcheck is still giving the 'did not resolve' error.

Has anyone else seen this?

cheers

Chris