Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck failure "did not resolve" - SOLVED!

2006-08-29 11:44:06
Subject: Re: amcheck failure "did not resolve" - SOLVED!
From: David Golden <dgolden AT cp.dias DOT ie>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:37:17 +0100
On Tuesday 29 August 2006 16:10, Chris Dennis wrote:

>       127.0.0.1       localhost       cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk
>       192.168.1.2     cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk      cherry2000
>
> which I now realise was wrong.  Removing the cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk
> from the localhost fixed it.

Yeah, that's a common thing. Infuriatingly, Redhat and Redhatoids
seem to actually do it deliberately during install.  Identical hosts
files have historically been supposed to be usable on multiple hosts,
and can quite happily be so... so long as you don't let Redhat write
them for you.  I think misunderstandings caused by redhat's habit of
sticking it in like that really do sometimes cause premature migrations of
networks to internal DNS servers, when just copying hosts files around would
be quite sufficient.