Amanda-Users

Re: Limit amanda level.

2006-08-28 11:58:19
Subject: Re: Limit amanda level.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:48:34 -0400
On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 08:50:20AM -0400, McGraw, Robert P. wrote:

> Is there a way to limit the highest backup level? Presently on some backups
> it will go to level 4. I would like to only have backup level 0-2.
>
> I have pursued the amanda.conf file but there is nothing obvious that I can
> see.

Joshua already pointed you to the bump parameters.

I just wish to point out that they will not prevent higher backup levels,
but make it more difficult, possibly extremely difficult, for amanda
to bump to the next level.  That would also include level 2 and maybe
level 1 as well.

One change I'm considering is for my indirect clients (smbclient backed
up Windows OS) setting bumpdays to some high value.  With the longer
dumpcycle I've set I'm finding these "claim" to go to level 4.  But as
I understand it, samba based backups are only full or incremental, no
levels.  So these levels are artificial if that is correct.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)