Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck failure "did not resolve"

2006-08-25 15:18:20
Subject: Re: amcheck failure "did not resolve"
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Chris Dennis <chris.dennis AT ndirect.co DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:09:11 -0500
Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hello Amanda People
>
> I can't find any reference on the web to this error message which
> started occurring a couple of days ago:
>
>    WARNING: cherry2000: selfcheck request failed:
> cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk: did not resolve to cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk
>
> Running 'host cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk' gives the expected result:
>
>    cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk has address 192.168.1.2

but does 192.168.1.2 come back as cherry2000.mydomain.org.uk ?

> and I haven't (knowingly) changed anything related to domain names.
>
> Since I started getting that message, all backups have been failing with
> messages such as
>
>    cherry2000  /            RESULTS MISSING
>
> I'm running Amanda version 2.5.0p2 on Debian with a 2.6.17 kernel.
>
> Any suggestions as to where to start looking?

I would start with checking forward/reverse name resolution on the
client.  Adding it to the hosts file might be sufficient if your
nsswitch.conf file has files before dns for hosts.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673