Amanda-Users

Re: [RFE] - Footer file on tape

2006-08-20 16:14:12
Subject: Re: [RFE] - Footer file on tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:23:55 -0400
On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 01:28:29PM +0100, Chris Lee wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone thought it would be a good idea for Amanda to
> write a footer file to tape after completing a dump providing a record
> of the tapes needed to produce a full restore to the state the system
> was in when this tape was written.
> I don't use amanda in a way that this would be very useful to me, it is
> only for home backups and I have a dumpcycle of 2 so I just need the
> last 3 tapes and I am sure to have all I need. However I was thinking in
> situations where longer dumpcycles and lots of DLEs are common it could
> help with restores if you lose Amanda and her data.
> The footer file would just be a list of the tapes from the last level 0
> to now for each DLE.
>
> For example a file formatted like this, so anyone can read it without
> Amanda's help:
> /home/bob { //Tapes needed for this DLE
> DailySet3 0 Thursday  17/08/2006
> DailySet4 1 Friday    18/08/2006
> DailySet5 2 Monday    21/08/2006
> }
> /home/anne { //Tapes Needed for this DLE
> DailySet5 0 Monday    21/08/2006
> }
> etc.
>
> Restore Set { //list of all tapes needed for all DLEs
> DailySet3 Thursday  17/08/2006
> DailySet4 Friday    18/08/2006
> DailySet5 Monday    21/08/2006
> }

Interesting idea.  A 32KB trailer file is, I believe, already added
to the last tape used in a dump.  I'm not sure I like the idea of
adding this data, either as a last file before the trailer, or as
part of the trailer.  In a large installation it could get quite
large and could result in an extra tape being used if the last
DLE nearly filled the tape.

But as a separately executed report, I really like it.
Things not included in your format are the client and the
tape file number.  With tape spanning that could be 'tapes'
and tape file 'numbers' for a single dump level.

Can Josef Wolf's amandatape program be massaged into such a format?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)