Amanda-Users

Re: Strange Dump Behavior

2006-08-20 16:13:52
Subject: Re: Strange Dump Behavior
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:15:31 -0400
On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 10:26:02AM +0200, Mathias Gisch wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I managed to get my amanda backup server running. It is currently backing up
> 2 hosts. The first hosts works perfectly, while the second gives me strange
> errors in the nightly amanda mail report. Does anyone have a hint what seems
> to bet he problem?
>

> /--  server2.localdomain /usr lev 0 STRANGE
>
> sendbackup: start [server2.localdomain:/usr level 0]
>
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/sbin/dump
>
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/sbin/restore -f... -
>
> sendbackup: info end
>
> ? device-mapper: version ioctl failed: Permission denied

This message, preceeded by a '?', is the one that caused any
"Strange" messages to be reported.

The others, preceeded by a '|', such as the one below,

> |   DUMP: DUMP IS DONE

were output by dump but were expected by amanda and
considered normal.  They are reported along with the
unexpected messages only if there were unexpected messages.

However, I don't have a clue what "device-mapper" is,
nor why it failed, nor if it is important.  But amanda
was not expecting it.  And looking at the rest, it did
not 'appear' to affect the dump which continued running
to completion.

Perhaps investigate your system messages or someone familiar
with your OS and environment and investigate device-mapper.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)