Amanda-Users

[RFE] - Footer file on tape

2006-08-20 09:38:48
Subject: [RFE] - Footer file on tape
From: Chris Lee <cslee-list AT cybericom.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:28:29 +0100
I was wondering if anyone thought it would be a good idea for Amanda to write a footer file to tape after completing a dump providing a record of the tapes needed to produce a full restore to the state the system was in when this tape was written. I don't use amanda in a way that this would be very useful to me, it is only for home backups and I have a dumpcycle of 2 so I just need the last 3 tapes and I am sure to have all I need. However I was thinking in situations where longer dumpcycles and lots of DLEs are common it could help with restores if you lose Amanda and her data. The footer file would just be a list of the tapes from the last level 0 to now for each DLE.

For example a file formatted like this, so anyone can read it without Amanda's help:
/home/bob { //Tapes needed for this DLE
DailySet3 0 Thursday  17/08/2006
DailySet4 1 Friday    18/08/2006
DailySet5 2 Monday    21/08/2006
}
/home/anne { //Tapes Needed for this DLE
DailySet5 0 Monday    21/08/2006
}
etc.

Restore Set { //list of all tapes needed for all DLEs
DailySet3 Thursday  17/08/2006
DailySet4 Friday    18/08/2006
DailySet5 Monday    21/08/2006
}