Amanda-Users

Re: amanda client inetd problem

2006-08-11 13:28:58
Subject: Re: amanda client inetd problem
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:22:13 -0500
Gene Heskett wrote:

> The debian camp and its offspring ubuntu, hasn't made the switch yet that
> I'm aware of.  I just installed kubuntu-6.06 on my milling machines box so
> I could stay reasonably well synched with the emc2 cvs, and was amazed
> that the default install was still using inetd, or at least the
> whole /etc/xinetd.d thing seemed to be missing.  I installed it, but the
> basic install contains only:
>
> gene@shop:~$ ls /etc/xinetd.d
> chargen  daytime  echo  time
>
> So its not as if the system would die if I did an rm -fR /etc/xinetd.d.
>
> The added advantages of xinetd over inetd would seeem to make it imperitive
> to switch, but then we all know the debian camp moves at glacial speed for
> the core stuff.
>
> Maybe thats an unfair remark Jon, I just did a cat of /etc/inetd.conf and
> found it only contains:
> #<off># netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait
> root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/smbd
>
> so what the heck *are* they doing to control daemon launching?  Me wanders
> off, scratching head in wonderment.

They add init scripts and run them as daemons, naturally.  There is
considerable delay in starting a program of any size, so leaving
it running gives better response time.  Back in the old days, there
were memory constraints so many services were only started when needed
via inetd, trading off response time for memory space.
   Any service called with any frequency should be run as a daemon.
Amanda is one of those one-offs in that it usually only gets invoked
once a day.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673