Amanda-Users

Re: amanda client inetd problem - solved

2006-08-11 12:21:08
Subject: Re: amanda client inetd problem - solved
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:12:36 -0400
On Friday 11 August 2006 10:22, Jeff Portwine wrote:
>I guess the problem was simply that it couldn't find the libraries in
>/usr/local/lib afterall, though I don't really know why.   I tried making
> a symbolic link in /usr/lib to all the libam libraries in /usr/local/lib
> and it fixed the problem I was having.    Maybe just running ldconfig
> would have fixed it afterall... but I didn't add /usr/local/lib to the
> ld.so.conf file myself, it was already there so it shouldn't have needed
> an ldconfig, but I guess you can't assume anything.

But, here anyway, anytime any of these libraries is updated or installed,
ldconfig must be run, by root, in order for those libraries to become
properly softlinked to their more generalized names.

In the linux method of finding a file it needs, if you strace a process,
you'll see how it searches for the resources a process needs, often by
making 4 or 5 guesses, which if they fail, it will then consult the list,
a cache file IIRC, and find the location by scanning this cache file, and
the next open attempt is then successfull.  But if that cache file isn't
kept current, even that lookup with fail as the linkage it contains is
stale.  I believe that was the failure you were seeing.  When usng a
package manager such as rpm, the 'post-install' script will often do this
for you, but from tarball installs where the 'make install', which would
be the logical place to perform this after all the copying has been done,
usually doesn't do a fresh run of ldconfig.

Maybe we should file a bug against the amanda Makefile?  Possibly, but now
that I know it needs to do done, its almost a habit to do so, and a
relatively minor nit to pick.  :)

>At any rate , that particular problem seems to be solved.. thanks for the
>input.
>
>-Jeff

message by Gene Heskett are: