Amanda-Users

Re: amanda client inetd problem

2006-08-11 12:34:49
Subject: Re: amanda client inetd problem
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:26:38 -0400
On Friday 11 August 2006 10:21, Jon LaBadie wrote:

>> >Or was it "nowait", and you changed it to "wait" (or fixed the
>> > username "backup"), but forgot to sig-HUP the inetd process after you
>> > fixed it?
>>
>> No, I added the inetd entry as listed above and then actually rebooted
>> the machine to make sure inetd restarted properly.
>>
>> >What happens when you execute the command "/usr/local/libexec/amandad"
>> >as user "backup" manually?
>>
>> $ /usr/local/libexec/amandad
>> /usr/local/libexec/amandad: error in loading shared libraries:
>> libamclient-2.5.0p2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
>> directory
>>
>> However, that library does exist...
>> $ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libam*
>> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       361796 Aug 11 08:07
>
>>>From a few things I'm guessing that both client and server are
>running on linux systems.  Out of curiosity, which distros
>still use inetd rather than xinetd?

The debian camp and its offspring ubuntu, hasn't made the switch yet that
I'm aware of.  I just installed kubuntu-6.06 on my milling machines box so
I could stay reasonably well synched with the emc2 cvs, and was amazed
that the default install was still using inetd, or at least the
whole /etc/xinetd.d thing seemed to be missing.  I installed it, but the
basic install contains only:

gene@shop:~$ ls /etc/xinetd.d
chargen  daytime  echo  time

So its not as if the system would die if I did an rm -fR /etc/xinetd.d.

The added advantages of xinetd over inetd would seeem to make it imperitive
to switch, but then we all know the debian camp moves at glacial speed for
the core stuff.

Maybe thats an unfair remark Jon, I just did a cat of /etc/inetd.conf and
found it only contains:
#<off># netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait
root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/smbd

so what the heck *are* they doing to control daemon launching?  Me wanders
off, scratching head in wonderment.

message by Gene Heskett are: