Amanda-Users

RE Monthly archival tapes

2006-08-09 04:07:35
Subject: RE Monthly archival tapes
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: Joe Donner <joedonner2001 AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:57:34 +0200

The usual way to go is to create a second amanda configuration for monthly archival only.

From the doc:

"To do periodic archival full dumps, create a new Amanda configuration with its own set of tapes but the same disklist as the normal configuration (e.g. symlink them together). Copy amanda.conf, setting all dumpcycle values to 0 and record to no, e.g. in the global dumptype. If a changer is used, set runtapes very high so tape capacity is not a planning restriction. Disable the normal Amanda run, or set the hold file as described in "Operating Amanda", so Amanda does not try to process the same client from two configurations at the same time."

"Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com>
Envoyé par : owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org

08/08/2006 17:51
Veuillez répondre à
Joe Donner <joedonner2001 AT hotmail DOT com>

amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
cc
Objet
Monthly archival tapes

The amanda configuration I'm planning to put live this week includes these
entries in amanda.conf:

dumpcycle 0 (to force a full backup on every run, because all our data fit
comfortably onto a single tape every night, and amdump only runs for 4.5
hours)
runspercycle 5 days (to do an amdump each day Monday to Friday)
tapecycle 21 tapes (to have 4 weeks' worth of "historical backups" + one
extra tape for good measure)

How do I now handle taking out one tape a month for long-term archiving?

If my tapes are labelled daily-1, daily-2, etc., then how do I take out one
tape a month but make sure that this doesn't confuse amanda, and that I will
be able to restore from that tape in the future?

Do I add a new tape each time in my numbering sequence?

Can I reuse tape labels but somehow cause amanda to not overwrite the
information needed to do restores from the archived tapes?

Your insights will be much appreciated.
Sent from the Amanda - Users forum at Nabble.com.