Amanda-Users

Re: dump larger than tape, 30864683 KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk

2006-08-08 23:01:24
Subject: Re: dump larger than tape, 30864683 KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: ml AT bortal DOT de
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:52:04 +0700 (ICT)
> So you are saying i should loock for ~4GB directories tar them instead
> to dump them?

Just to be on the safe side, and if you are considering to split your
backup anyway, it is better to split into pieces that are smaller than
the tape size.

> I thought amanda can split such big backup archives up in serveral
> parts. I doubt that someone will backup up a 200GB System onto one
> single tape.

Not sure if Amanda can split a single DLE onto several tapes. I use a
pre-historic version of Amanda that run single tape :)

Spliting your big DLE into pieces (as many pieces as runpercycle) is
anyway a good tactic, so on every dump Amanda will backup one of the
pieces, and you will end up with equal dump time every day.

Else you will have one big day, doing the 200GB and many small other
days.

Olivier