Amanda-Users

Re: Monthly archival tapes

2006-08-10 05:51:46
Subject: Re: Monthly archival tapes
From: "Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:40:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

thanks again for the replies.  I think Jon's suggestion of using labels such
as daily-9b sounds like the best option in my case.

Yep reconnecting the SCSI cables cut amanda's dump time in half!  Whoohoo!

If I did change to incremental backups in future, then I assume this would
then be correct, right?

dumpcycle 7 days (full backup once every 7 days, with incrementals
in-between)
runspercycle 5 days (amdump runs 5 times per dumpcycle - Monday to Friday)
tapecycle 21 tapes (4 weeks' worth of backups + 1 tape to prevent
overwriting a last level 0)

I also have that problem where my first 5 tapes are requested out of
sequence by amanda, so if I leave the tapecycle at 21 tapes, but actually
use 26 tapes, then I'd be able to fix that issue too by the time amanda has
ran through the entire set of tapes?  Is that correct?

Regular expressions do my head it...but I've come up with this to enable me
to label tapes daily-1 or daily-1b, etc:

labelstr "daily-[0-9][0-9]*[a-z]*"

:)