Amanda-Users

Re: Monthly archival tapes

2006-08-09 19:42:33
Subject: Re: Monthly archival tapes
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:33:37 -0400
On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 10:27:36PM +0100, Alan Pearson wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2006, at 15:15, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:22:20PM +0100, Alan Pearson wrote:
> >>

> >>Guys,
> >>
> >>On this subject, I'd like to do something similar. Unfortunately my
> >>backups don't fit on one tape !
> >>How can I take a _complete_ backup off site in this situation, and
> >>how can I identify which tapes I need to take ?
> >
> >I'd recommend a separate config of no-record, full dumps only.

> Thanks for the answers guys, I'm tempted to have different config for
> this, given the ease at which I can.
> The only question is then what happens if it all doesn't fit on one
> tape ?
> Just amflush to as many tapes as required ?

Essentially yes.

Considerations:

Make sure record is set to no.  You don't want a record of this
full dump upsetting the scheduling of your daily config.

Make sure index is yes.

Make sure runtapes is sufficient.  Make it big, amanda will only
use what it needs anyway and you will only be running this manually
or infrequently.  If runtapes is too small amanda will, during planning,
think it has too little tape space and not schedule some dumps.

If you have sufficient holding disk space, let it all collect on the
holding disk (leave out the tape) and do the taping with amflush.
By having all the dumps available at the start, the taper algorithm
"largestfit" can be more effective.

Set a suitable taperalgo.

Set your holding disk reserve to 0, you won't be doing any incrementals.

If on a 2.5 or greater server version, consider tape spanning.

HW compression rather than SW?  Faster dumps, larger holding disk usage.

Consider dump vs tar if you don't need tar'isms like exclude.
Probably faster, probably saves ACL's and devices (dubious value).

No need for precise estimates, so use one of the much more efficient
estimating procedures.

Others ??

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)