Amanda-Users

Re: Compression

2006-08-04 21:02:20
Subject: Re: Compression
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 20:51:53 -0400
On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 04:00:16PM -0700, Pavel Pragin wrote:
> James Wilson wrote:
>
> >How can I tell what compression I am using? Also how do I make sure
> >hardware compression is off?
>
> Hello,
> If you have compression enabled you will see something like "compress
> client fast" in your amanda.conf dumptype definition and
> amanda uses gzip for compression by default. You can change this default
> by using "client custom" option when you define your dumptype in
> amanda.conf. As far as the compression on the tape drive you can use "mt
> -f /dev/nst0 defcompression 0" to turn compression off.

Such directions are very OS, and sometimes even release, specific.

Plus, some tape drives include hardware switches to force compression
on/off or to allow software to switch it.

Besides mt (and other) commands such as PP mentions,
some OS use different device names for compression on/off.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)