Amanda-Users

Re: Compression

2006-08-04 20:15:04
Subject: Re: Compression
From: Pavel Pragin <ppragin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: jwilson AT transolutions DOT net
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 16:00:16 -0700
James Wilson wrote:

How can I tell what compression I am using? Also how do I make sure hardware compression is off?

Hello,
If you have compression enabled you will see something like "compress client fast" in your amanda.conf dumptype definition and amanda uses gzip for compression by default. You can change this default by using "client custom" option when you define your dumptype in amanda.conf. As far as the compression on the tape drive you can use "mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression 0" to turn compression off.
Pavel