Amanda-Users

Re: amanda ignoring the MAXDUMPS option?

2006-08-04 07:56:48
Subject: Re: amanda ignoring the MAXDUMPS option?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 07:48:30 -0400
On Friday 04 August 2006 01:07, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Friday 04 August 2006 00:43, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>Greetings;
>>
>>2.5.1b1-20060714 running ATM.
>>It seemed that I was hearing more disk thrashing than usual, so I took a
>>look with htop and found 8 copies of dumper running on this box during
>> the estimate phase, which is indeed the limit as set by the
>> 'inparallel' option, but I also have a maxdumps set to 4 in that same
>> file, AND I'm using spindle numbers in my dle's.
>>
>>I don't have 8 spindles in this machine, just 2, numbered 0 and 1 in the
>>dle's.  The 3rd spindle which never appears in a dle, is the vtapes
>> drive.
>>
>>So why is amanda pounding on the drives with all this seek threshing?
>>
>>Or do I need to read a man page, as I'm screwed up in my understanding
>> of these variables?
>
>Further adendum, 45 minutes later none of the dumpers on this box has
>returned an estimate, and none are using any cpu at all.  All dumpers on
>the client have returned valid estimates according to amstatus.  So I
>think this run will be another timeout party and wasted.  Bummer.
>
>If anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears but I'm going to bed for now.

And at 07:30 am, they are still stuck, using zero cpu, and no email has
been rx'd from amanda.  I'm going back to 2.5.0 from 20060514, without a
reboot, just a killall.  I'd say it could be a kernel problem except it
effects my server this run, and the client on a previous run, 2 entirely
different kernels.  I'd include the *20060804* log files, but there aren't
any, maybe after I do the killall?  htop says the dumpers are all Zombies
and can't be killed.  On the client box, when this occured, there was a
parent shell that also went away when I did the killall, on this box there
aren't any parent shells for the dumpers that are dead but not recycled.
Reboot time I guess. Bummer...

message by Gene Heskett are: