Amanda-Users

Re: amanda ignoring the MAXDUMPS option?

2006-08-04 01:13:34
Subject: Re: amanda ignoring the MAXDUMPS option?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:07:34 -0400
On Friday 04 August 2006 00:43, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings;
>
>2.5.1b1-20060714 running ATM.
>It seemed that I was hearing more disk thrashing than usual, so I took a
>look with htop and found 8 copies of dumper running on this box during
> the estimate phase, which is indeed the limit as set by the 'inparallel'
> option, but I also have a maxdumps set to 4 in that same file, AND I'm
> using spindle numbers in my dle's.
>
>I don't have 8 spindles in this machine, just 2, numbered 0 and 1 in the
>dle's.  The 3rd spindle which never appears in a dle, is the vtapes
> drive.
>
>So why is amanda pounding on the drives with all this seek threshing?
>
>Or do I need to read a man page, as I'm screwed up in my understanding of
>these variables?

Further adendum, 45 minutes later none of the dumpers on this box has
returned an estimate, and none are using any cpu at all.  All dumpers on
the client have returned valid estimates according to amstatus.  So I
think this run will be another timeout party and wasted.  Bummer.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears but I'm going to bed for now.

message by Gene Heskett are: