Amanda-Users

amanda ignoring the MAXDUMPS option?

2006-08-04 00:51:21
Subject: amanda ignoring the MAXDUMPS option?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 00:43:27 -0400
Greetings;

2.5.1b1-20060714 running ATM.
It seemed that I was hearing more disk thrashing than usual, so I took a
look with htop and found 8 copies of dumper running on this box during the
estimate phase, which is indeed the limit as set by the 'inparallel'
option, but I also have a maxdumps set to 4 in that same file, AND I'm
using spindle numbers in my dle's.

I don't have 8 spindles in this machine, just 2, numbered 0 and 1 in the
dle's.  The 3rd spindle which never appears in a dle, is the vtapes drive.

So why is amanda pounding on the drives with all this seek threshing?

Or do I need to read a man page, as I'm screwed up in my understanding of
these variables?

message by Gene Heskett are: