Amanda-Users

Re: can only run amanda tests as root

2006-08-04 04:42:10
Subject: Re: can only run amanda tests as root
From: "Stephen Carter" <Stephen AT retnet.co DOT uk>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>, "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:31:56 +0100
>>> Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> 08/02/06 12:09 PM >>>
>Then you don't have your amanda user in the correct group, amanda should be
>a member of the group disk in your case.
>
>This walks and quacks like the incorrect installation duck, amanda should
>be configured and built by the user amanda (or whoever is actually going
>to run amanda, and NOT root) and this user should be a member of the group
>that includes disk and backup.
>
>However, after amanda has been built by this user, then amanda must be
>installed by root, thereby setting up all these permissions and setuids
>automaticly.
>
>--
>Cheers, Gene
>People having trouble with vz bouncing email to me should add the word
>'online' between the 'verizon', and the dot which bypasses vz's
>stupid bounce rules.  I do use spamassassin too. :- )
>Yahoo.com and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
>message by Gene Heskett are:
>Copyright 2006 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.

I installed Amanda via rpm and it's been around in SuSE for a long time, so I
would expect someone to have picked up this 'basic' problem and fixed it since
SuSE 9.3 up to SLES 10 if it were an amanda compile / install issue (I tried
this on SuSE 9.3, 10, 10.1, SLES9 & 10). The permissions are correct for the
amanda user, and amanda's default group is the disk group.

The problem is that the disk group has, by default, only read access to changer
devices (/dev/sg*) in SuSE that are created dynamically during boot. The perms
assigned are governed by rules in udev, which I pointed out.

For what it's worth, all no changer tape devices (e.g. /dev/nst*) do give the
disk group read and write perms by default so no problem there... it's only an
issue if you are using a changer with SuSE (or CentOS apparently)

Stephen Carter
Retrac Networking Limited
www: http://www.retnet.co.uk
Ph: +44 (0)7870 218 693