Amanda-Users

Re: can only run amanda tests as root

2006-08-02 09:26:17
Subject: Re: can only run amanda tests as root
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Stephen Carter <Stephen AT retnet.co DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:20:09 -0400
Stephen,

Sorry, not amanda files but system /dev files, I lost track of your
OS but I have a robot on a linux system and have the following in my
amanda.conf file. you need proper protections on both /dev/nst0 and /dev/sg1
or whatever your OS calls your devices.

runtapes 3              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"  # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used
rawtapedev "/dev/null"  # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
#changerfile "/usr/adm/amanda/solarisbackup/changer"
#changerfile "/usr/adm/amanda/solarisbackup/changer-status"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/agnetha/chg-zd-mtx"
changerdev "/dev/sg1"

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 09:33:23AM +0100, Stephen Carter wrote:
> I figured that part out, and running mtx -f /dev/sg0 inquiry then again for
> sg1 showed that my drive was on sg0 and the autoloader was on sg1.
>
> All the mtx and amtape commands work when being run as the root user, so I
> don't think this is a configuration file issue. I think it's more of a setup
> issue with users / perms but I just can't see it...
>

> Stephen Carter
> Retrac Networking Limited
> www: http://www.retnet.co.uk
> Ph: +44 (0)7870 218 693
> Fax: +44 (0)870 7060 056
> CNA, CNE 6, CNS, CCNA, MCSE 2003

> The robot/picker/whatever is a different device on most systems
> from the tape drive, I've seen it as a different device/SCSI ID
> and as the same SCSI ID/different LUN, depending on the implementation.
>
> You have to check the devices for the robot in this case.
>
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 09:10:57PM +0100, Stephen Carter wrote:
> > I've got my user amanda who is a member of the disk group, and although
> > permissions on all amanda files seem fine, when I try to run
> > su amanda - c "/usr/sbin/amtape DailySet1 show"
> >
> > I get the error
> > amtape: could not get changer info: no slots available
> >
> > I can however run this successfully as root.
> >
> > My tape device is /dev/sg0 and the changer is /dev/sg1. Both have
> > permissions root:disk (along with everything else in /dev it appears)
> >
> > My amanda config files are in /etc/amanda/DailySet1 and amanda is the owner
> > of /etc/amanda and all files beneath that.
> >
> > I'm running SLES 10 and installed Amanda through YaST which is v2.4.5
> >
> > I also uninstalled that and tried doing it directly from source, with
> > exactly the same problem...
> >
> > Any help would be great.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > Stephen Carter
> > Retrac Networking Limited
> > www: http://www.retnet.co.uk
> > Ph: +44 (0)7870 218 693
> > Fax: +44 (0)870 7060 056
> > CNA, CNE 6, CNS, CCNA, MCSE 2003
> >

> ---
>    Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org
>    Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486- 1697
>    Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473- 6384
>    NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473- 0773

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org