Amanda-Users

RE: Need help restoring: -p doesn't seem to work

2006-07-26 13:01:56
Subject: RE: Need help restoring: -p doesn't seem to work
From: "Sean Noonan" <noonans AT get1free DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:54:35 -0700
> > freebee# amrestore -p /dev/nsa0 freebee aacd0s1f | gzip -d | restore -
> ivf -
> > Verify tape and initialize maps
> > amrestore: missing file header block
> > amrestore:   2: skipping freebee.aacd0s1e.20060721.0
> > amrestore:  10: reached end of information
> >
> > gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> > End-of-tape encountered
> > Tape is not a dump tape
> > freebee#
>
> - What did amverify said about that tape?

Amverify ran without errors.  Specifically:

freebee# su -m operator -c 'amverify Get1Free'
No tape changer...
Tape device is /dev/nsa0...
Verify summary to backup-operators AT get1free DOT com
Defects file is /tmp/amanda/amverify.37453/defects
amverify Get1Free
Wed Jul 26 08:11:49 PDT 2006

Using device /dev/nsa0
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Get1FreeDailyLTO2-17, Date 20060721
Rewinding...
Checked freebee.aacd0s1e.20060721.0
Checked freebee.aacd0s1a.20060721.0
Checked freebee.aacd0s1f.20060721.0
Checked freebee.aacd0s1g.20060721.0
End-of-Information detected.
Rewinding...
freebee#

> - Are you sure you have a backup for aacd0s1f on that tape?

Yes.  At least the above amverify output indicates so.  Also, remember that
I can (if I had the disk space) do a amrestore if I don't try to use "-p"
and do an interactive session.  So yes, aacd0s1f is on that tape.  And it's
a level 0 dump.

> - Can you restore to a disk and then see what type of file you get
>   from the restore? That would allow you to make faster test with
>   gunzip, restore or whatever without reading the tape again and
>   again.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by this--I'm not the sharpest knife
in the drawer.  I don't have the disk space to restore the entire file,
otherwise I wouldn't need to pipe the output of amrestore and I wouldn't
have a problem in the first place.  However, your idea has me thinking about
trying to use mount_smbfs to a NAS device.  Maybe that'll work and give me
the temporary necessary disk space I need to restore.

> Bests,
>
> Olivier

Thanks for your assistance,

--Sean Noonan