Amanda-Users

Re: Need help restoring: -p doesn't seem to work

2006-07-26 13:40:21
Subject: Re: Need help restoring: -p doesn't seem to work
From: Kevin Till <kevin.till AT zmanda DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:16:06 -0700
Sean Noonan wrote:
freebee# amrestore -p /dev/nsa0 freebee aacd0s1f | gzip -d | restore -

ivf -

Verify tape and initialize maps
amrestore: missing file header block
amrestore:   2: skipping freebee.aacd0s1e.20060721.0
amrestore:  10: reached end of information

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
End-of-tape encountered
Tape is not a dump tape
freebee#

- What did amverify said about that tape?

Amverify ran without errors.  Specifically:

freebee# su -m operator -c 'amverify Get1Free'
No tape changer...
Tape device is /dev/nsa0...
Verify summary to backup-operators AT get1free DOT com
Defects file is /tmp/amanda/amverify.37453/defects
amverify Get1Free
Wed Jul 26 08:11:49 PDT 2006

Using device /dev/nsa0
Waiting for device to go ready...
Rewinding...
Processing label...
Volume Get1FreeDailyLTO2-17, Date 20060721
Rewinding...
Checked freebee.aacd0s1e.20060721.0
Checked freebee.aacd0s1a.20060721.0
Checked freebee.aacd0s1f.20060721.0
Checked freebee.aacd0s1g.20060721.0
End-of-Information detected.
Rewinding...
freebee#
- Are you sure you have a backup for aacd0s1f on that tape?

Yes.  At least the above amverify output indicates so.  Also, remember that
I can (if I had the disk space) do a amrestore if I don't try to use "-p"
and do an interactive session.  So yes, aacd0s1f is on that tape.  And it's
a level 0 dump.

- Can you restore to a disk and then see what type of file you get
 from the restore? That would allow you to make faster test with
 gunzip, restore or whatever without reading the tape again and
 again.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by this--I'm not the sharpest knife
in the drawer.  I don't have the disk space to restore the entire file,
otherwise I wouldn't need to pipe the output of amrestore and I wouldn't
have a problem in the first place.  However, your idea has me thinking about
trying to use mount_smbfs to a NAS device.  Maybe that'll work and give me
the temporary necessary disk space I need to restore.

have you tried using amrecover? If "index" is on in the dumptype during amdump, the amanda index server will give the listing of the files in aacd0s1f and you can choose what files to extract.

I have also tested "amrestore -p", it's working fine for me.

--
Thank you!
Kevin Till

Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com