Amanda-Users

RE: Need help restoring: -p doesn't seem to work

2006-07-25 19:03:48
Subject: RE: Need help restoring: -p doesn't seem to work
From: "Paul Haldane" <Paul.Haldane AT newcastle.ac DOT uk>
To: "'Sean Noonan'" <noonans AT get1free DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 23:52:57 +0100

My understanding is that amrestore automatically does any uncompression
necessary so the explicit gzip -d isn't needed.

> Thanks for the reply.  I'm quite sure it was gzip compressed,
> the amanda
> config files specifies "compress client fast" for this
> volume.  Still no love, though.  Here's what I got:
>
> freebee# amrestore -p /dev/nsa0 freebee aacd0s1f | gzip -d | restore -ivf -
> Verify tape and initialize maps
> amrestore: missing file header block
> amrestore:   2: skipping freebee.aacd0s1e.20060721.0
> amrestore:  10: reached end of information
>
> gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> End-of-tape encountered
> Tape is not a dump tape

That looks like amrestore isn't finding the dump file on the tape and is
running off the end of tape.

I'm puzzled by the "missing file header block".   That implies that the tape
isn't positioned at the start of a tape file when you run amrestore.  What does
"mt stat" say before you run amrestore?  Is the tape positioned at the very
start of the tape file you want (or at least somewhere before there)?

Is that all the output you get from amrestore?  Does it really skip from 2: to
10:?

Paul